retro trailer: ‘King Solomon’s Mines’

Take a look back at an old trailer…

This might be my most favoritest hyperbolic trailer ever. “Greatest adventure drama of the ages!” “Actual death fight of the pagan kings!” “Actually filmed in the savage heart of equatorial Africa.” And it’s all filmed on location “where no white woman had ever been before.”

Because nothing counts if white people aren’t involved.

King Solomon’s Mines is available on DVD in Region 1 from Amazon.com and from Amazon.ca and in Region 2 from Amazon U.K.

gensing
gensing
Sun, Mar 21, 2010 5:26pm

I kinda wish they still made trailers like that – it might inspire me to go see some of the films. Lately most trailers turn me off completely, save for a few “art-house” films.

Everything after “SPECTACULAR!” was, well, pretty spectacular – Sacred Dance of the Giant Watussi! Mad Charge of the Rogue Elephants! … and it just keeps getting better!

mbt shoes
Sun, Mar 21, 2010 11:14pm

Your article very interesting, I have introduced a lot of friends look at this article, the content of the articles there will be a lot of attractive people to appreciate, I have to thank you such an article.

Newbs
Mon, Mar 22, 2010 2:42pm

Yes… as an attractive people, I must agree with mbt shoes.

As regards King Solomon’s Mines: I saw this only once, when I was like 10, at a birthday party for a friend. I remember a single scene. There’s this bit where somebody springs a spike trap that impales him against a large wooden door.

And then, this other guy yells out “Oh no, my door!”

We re-wound that like 20 times and watched it over and over.

AJ
AJ
Tue, Mar 23, 2010 3:38pm

I got to say I always liked this movie because I’ve always loved Deborah Kerr, plus I’ve had a thing for Stewart Granger for a long time. For all its hyperbole and non-existant pc-ness it is an enjoyable movie. I saw on TCM onetime a documentary short they played after the movie which showed the undertaking of MGM to film on location.

mbt shoes
Tue, Jul 06, 2010 10:20pm

And then, this other guy yells out “Oh no, my door!”

We re-wound that like 20 times and watched it over and over.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Tue, Jul 06, 2010 10:45pm

The spambot plagiarists are apparently restless tonight…