trailer break: ‘Marmaduke’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

No, not Lee Pace!

Judy Greer?

William H. Macy?

This is what Beverly Hills Chihuahua and its $94.5 million domestic gross hath wrought. I blame every single person who bought a ticket to that movie and later told their friends things like:

those outfits on Chloe were sooooooooooooooooooo cute
I was like awwwww I would so try that if I had a girl toy dog

and

Just saw this recently and really liked it lol anyway what did you think the funniest part was?

For me it was the dog that prays in spanish before the fights

(Those are actual quotes from the IMDB forums for the film.)

Remember that a trailer is meant to entice you. It’s meant to whet your cinematic appetite. It’s supposed to make you want to see a movie. It’s not intended to make you want to bust into a Hollywood boardroom, guns ablazin’, and take hostages.

Marmaduke opens in the U.S. and Canada on June 4; no U.K. release date has been announced.

pausner
pausner
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 11:13am

I love the deadpan style, however unintentional. Should definitely play this aspect up when a review for a very awful movie is posted.

Cori Ann
Cori Ann
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 11:19am

What. The. FRAK???????????????????

Granted I haven’t read the Marmaduke comic in years, but this doesn’t seem to be even remotely tonally correct. Also, CG talking on real animals = EWWWW.

Sigh. I am pretty sure this might be a sign of the pending apocalypse.

Tonio Kruger
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:21pm

Heh. MaryAnn doesn’t even pretend to express surprise that Owen Wilson is in a film this unpromising. And in the past, she liked Owen Wilson.

I admit to being one of the people who bought a ticket to BHC–apparently that week I was weak and backsliding–but I don’t remember recommending it to anyone.

And that trailer reminds me a lot more of just another canine “comedy” in which a large dog ran around undisciplined and all the audience members were supposed to find it cute–Marley and Me. And I don’t remember recommending Marley and Me. In fact, I remember fighting with someone online–I don’t remember who–about that film’s very dubious merits.

So all you people who defended Marley and Me because it had a bit with a dog in it, I hope you’re happy. ;-)

Nathan
Nathan
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:22pm

I thought this looked pretty bad, but then I saw the trailer for Furry Vengeance

Oh god, kill me now!

Count Shrimpula
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:24pm

Oh, one should not visit the IMDB forums under any circumstances. That way lies madness.

Drave
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 1:30pm

What annoys me most is that Marmaduke is pretty much the only newsprint comic animal where you are NOT supposed to hear his thoughts or voice. Bah!

Emrys
Emrys
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 5:45pm

Listen. To be fair. Great Danes are pretty big dogs.

Lanna Lee Maheux-Quinn
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 7:13pm

After watching that I feel dumber.