trailer break: ‘Piranha 3D’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

What the hell? This cheesy end-of-summer, August-dumping-ground 3D horror movie is chock full of actors you’ve actually heard of: Richard Dreyfuss, Ving Rhames, Elisabeth Shue, Christopher Lloyd, Jerry O’Connell. It’s from director Alexandre Aja, who made the very good The Hills Have Eyes and the excellent High Tension.

But it’s not screening for critics.

It must be even worse than it seems…

Piranha 3D opens in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. on August 20.

Tue, Aug 17, 2010 10:26am

Actors you’ve actually heard of… but not so much, recently.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 10:38am

Man, the only black person at Spring Break is Ving Rhames? WTF.

McFeely
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 11:09am

I had no idea Richard Dreyfuss was doing so poorly these days. I kid though, I assume he’s doing a parody of his jaws character based on how he is dressed. I thought this was going to be like one of those horribad syfy films. May be worth a visit to the theater though.

Jester
Jester
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 12:36pm

Saw this trailer a month or so back and literally could not stop laughing. It’s like the director, at first, thought he was making a Serious Horror Flick(tm), The Birds for the 21st century maybe. Then he looked at the dailies for the first half of the shoot and said, “You know what? Fuck it. We’re Snakes on a Plane, with fish.” and filmed the rest of the movie that way.

Game
Game
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 1:51pm

“My Bloody Valentine 3D” didn’t have a screening for critics either, and it was an awesome movie. Not to mention, it made over $100 million in world wide box office sales and had huge DVD sales.

Just because a movie doesn’t have a screening for critics doesn’t mean it won’t be a good movie – though that doesn’t mean I think this will be a good movie, but I will find out when I see it this weekend.

markyd
markyd
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 2:33pm

Um, Mr. Game sir, My Bloody Valentine 3D sure has hell was not an “awesome” movie. The wife and I are big horror fans and saw it in the theater. It was mildly entertaining, but mostly just ridiculous.
As for the Piranha movie…I don’t really have anything to say. Looks stupid and cliche, but it could fun. We’ll see.

vucubcaquix
vucubcaquix
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 3:55pm

This looks hilariously awful.

My uncle’s first horror movie was the original Piranha in the 70s, he was 8 at the time, and he’s excited to check this one out with me. We both know it’s going to be awful, but I guess nostalgia is a very powerful thing.

Nate
Nate
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 3:59pm

After seeing some of the footage out of comic-con, I hope you’re preparing for a bright red light for this. It’s a million times more misogynistic than Scott Pilgrim ever was.

Game
Game
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 4:01pm

Um, Mr. markyd sir, did you, um, watch the movie in 3D in theaters, or was it the, um, dull 2D version?

Those that watched it in 2D thought it wasn’t that good (the same holds true for other 2D/3D movies). But if you saw it in 3D, and didn’t think that shotgun that was pointed right at you was an awesome effect, something is wrong with, um, you :)

PaulW
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 5:22pm

Many of the actors/actresses you name haven’t been in big movies for years. Which is more an indictment of the Hollywood industry’s inability to cast good actors (Rhames, Shue, Dreyfus) in good movies.

Ryan
Ryan
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 6:04pm
markyd
markyd
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 6:43pm

Yes, Mr. Game, we saw it in 3D. Stupid gimmicks do not make up for awful acting, plot, and everything else. Like I said, being a fan of horror, I was amused by it. Sure as hell doesn’t make it a good movie, though.

JSW
JSW
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 8:44pm

So are they going to get James Cameron to come back to direct the sequel?

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Aug 18, 2010 3:09pm

Bwahaha. No, it wasn’t.

Ah, yes, I forgot: these are indisputably marks of quality cinema.

I’m stunned to hear this. :->

I don’t know yet whether I’ll bother with it at all, actually.