The To Do List redband trailer: horny-teen-girl movie, hoorah!

Well, isn’t this a lovely coincidence. Just as my review of Norwegian film Turn Me On, Dammit! is in the news — though not for being an instance of the so-rare-it-doesn’t-exist horny-teenaged-girl genre — here comes another one. In English. And getting a wide(ish) release in North America.

Astonishing.

I was a little bit worried in the beginning of this trailer that it seemed like the teen girl wasn’t actually very interested in sex per se, just in being perceived (by guys) as experienced. But, um, stuff later in the trailer seems to belie that.

Cannot wait to see this. I love Aubrey Plaza. I have every faith that she can pull this off. Assuming the script is any good, of course.

Wed, Jul 17, 2013 1:55pm

Is this the new trailer benchmark? “If it seems like a comedy with the jokes missing, maybe it’s a comedy with actual jokes that don’t get put in the trailer because they aren’t crude enough”?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 3:08pm

Or maybe they aren’t in the trailer because they’re more complicated than a punchline?

I can hope, anyway…

Prankster36
Prankster36
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 8:12pm

Do you watch Parks & Recreation, MaryAnn? Terrific show.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Prankster36
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 11:03pm

I’ve seen quite a bit of it. Love it.

Imran
Imran
Mon, Jul 29, 2013 11:37pm

the movie was very funny and if there was such a thing as RRR rated for language it would get this rating. Aubrey is a wonderful actress. The story being told in the 90s was another fun thing. Agent coulson (i dont know his real name) played a great typical conservative father. The guy is genius at comedy without stupid faces and sounds.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Wed, May 07, 2014 9:03pm

I am kinda surprised that MaryAnn liked this trailer so much since it not only contained so many anti-feminist tropes — do we really need yet another movie that implies that that even a smart woman is just a loser if she is not sexually experienced? — but it seemed to be the reverse version of Walk of Shame — only

SPOILER ALERT for The To Do List

poor Audrey Plaza’s character managed to get shamed in this movie for both being too sexually inexperienced and too sexually experienced.

I usually love Audrey Plaza and I usually like Connie Britton, but I could not help but feel a little embarrassed for them both when I saw them in this movie — especially when the script kept veering into Farrelly Brothers territory. (And it does that a lot.)

Granted, I’m not exactly part of this movie’s target audience. Indeed, if you still wax nostalgic over 2 Live Crew’s “Me So Horny” and you thought that Caddyshack would have been a lot better with more gross-out humor, you will probably like this film far better than me.

But I would rather not recommend this film to anyone if I had a choice.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, May 07, 2014 10:23pm

I still haven’t seen it, but I would like to. I’m not surprised but still very disappointed to hear it’s not very good.