my week the movies: ‘The Ugly Truth,’ ‘New Orleans, Mon Amour,’ ‘The Answer Man,’ ‘Orphan,’ ‘Bliss,’ ‘Adam’

Get it? It is a truth universally acknowledged that men love with their dicks and women love with their brains. Everyone just knows this. I’m not sure if we should take this as an indication that the people involved in making this movie actually genuinely don’t understand that people are wildly individualistic and so figure that it’s best to run with the most general and simplistic stereotypes of the way some examples of both genders behave… or if they really do think that this kind of stereotyping will appeal to audiences because they think most people identify with this. The ugly truth about The Ugly Truth (opens in the U.S. on July 24 and the U.K. on August 7) is probably that someone thinks this is witty. It looks preposterous and stupid to me, and that’s why I’m official Dreading it.

Crap, I’ve had a screener of New Orleans, Mon Amour sitting around here forever, and I’ve never found the time to watch it even though my boy Christopher Eccleston stars in it (it also features Elisabeth Moss from Mad Men). Now, though, the movie has skipped right over a theatrical release and gone direct to VOD on the new Cinetic Film Buff (according to Variety), and later will be available on iTunes and Amazon VOD. So I really must make time to watch it this week…

Speaking of video on demand, this is happening more and more: Movies are debuting on VOD before they get a small theatrical release. The Answer Man is one of those. It’s already available on Amazon VOD — though I think $9.99 is a bit steep for a 48-hour rental, even if it is in advance of the theatrical release — and it premieres on HDNet Movies this Wednesday, July 22. HDNet sent me a screener, and although I tend to feel that movies should be seen on a big screen, this is a movie that most people will only see on a small screen, because the theatrical release the film is getting, starting on July 24, will be very small. Most who see this film will see it on their TVs, so I will see it that way too. (No U.K. release date has been announced yet.)

I’m sort of stunned that Orphan (opens in the U.S. on July 24, and in the U.K. on August 7) is screening for critics at all… though I won’t see it till Wednesday night, which about as close to “not screening at all” as you can get. You can guess why it’s being kept under wraps, I think…

Bliss (Mutluluk) (opens in the U.S. on August 7; no U.K. release date has been announced) is a Turkish film about the repulsive practice of “honor killing.” Should be a brutal experience.

A man with Asperger’s Syndrome gets friendly with his beautiful neighbor in the indie Adam (opens in the U.S. on July 29, and in the U.K. on August 7). Here’s hoping that Hugh Dancy and Rose Byrne can overcome the Rain Man vibe.

Yo
Yo
Mon, Jul 20, 2009 6:29pm

Ryan
Ryan
Mon, Jul 20, 2009 7:08pm

I haven’t actually seen The Ugly Truth yet, so I hold out some hope that it’s actually an ironic twist on the stereotype about guys and gals and where their priorities stem from.

You never know.

Jurgan
Jurgan
Mon, Jul 20, 2009 9:05pm

“You are already trashing The Ugly Truth before even seeing it. Not smart. It’s hilarious according to several people who have seen it.”

Let me try to head off this one. Maryann always announces her biases ahead of time- it’s only fair to let people know what she’s bringing to the movie. It’s pretty much impossible to have no preconceptions of a movie unless you haven’t heard about it. Don’t tell me you’ve never watched a preview and said “Wow, that looks awesome!” or “Ew, that’s gonna suck.” That said, Maryann has on several occasions been dreading a movie and later loved it, and vice-versa. So she’s not bound by her biases. But if it turns out she hates it and most others like it, that wouldn’t be the first time, especially with comedies (see most of the oeuvre of Judd Apatow).

Kevin Fergison
Kevin Fergison
Mon, Jul 20, 2009 11:24pm

Gforce gets no love from you? I’m definitely taking my wife and kids to see it this weekend and I’ll probably enjoy it as much as they will.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Tue, Jul 21, 2009 12:22am

You’re already loving The Ugly Truth before even seeing it. Not smart. It’s terrible according to several people who have seen it.

Gforce gets no love from you?

It’s Disney, and I’m on Disney’s shitlist at the moment. I’ll wait till there’s a movie I really want to see before I ask Disney if they’re gonna let me into a screening.

chiclit
chiclit
Tue, Jul 21, 2009 12:30am

Perhaps you, as a professional can help me figure out as a lay person-just when and how is New Orleans Mon Amour going to be made available?The Variety article and others are very exciting as they describe the world of VOD etc but there is no further information. Where, for example is the “Film Buff” channel actually available? Which cable systems and parts of the country?

If Film Buff channel is not available in my area, when might I reasonably expect this movie on Amazon or iTunes? The indication was July but I have seen nothing further.

Hope you can decode the press release and story, I have only been trying to find out about this movie for months.

Thanks in advance-

Amy S.
Wed, Jul 22, 2009 12:02pm

Adam avoids the Rain Man schtick. Hugh Dancy does a commendable job and it’s a fine film. Really well done. Excellent acting by Rose Byrne and Dancy. Realistic and charming even. I didn’t even realize the character Adam had Asperger’s until he told it to the Beth (Byrne). So that was a good thing.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Fri, Jul 31, 2009 6:09pm

I have no more info on *New Orleans Mon Amour* than is available for everyone online. Sorry.