trailer break: ‘Gamer’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

So the guys who did Crank and Crank: High Voltage — Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor — are back… and it looks a lot like a lot of other shit we’ve seen before, doesn’t it?

Prisoners forced to play bloodsports? A game that’s really real? Gee, why does that sound familiar?

These guys showed so much originality with the Crank movies, I really expected that they’d want to keep being original and clever, and would somehow avoid getting sucked into the Hollywood machine to, well, crank out more of the same crap.

Goes to show how hopeful and naive I am…

Oh, and might be my imagination — there’s not really enough dialogue here to tell for sure — but Gerard Butler’s American accent sounds like it may be improving (it was dreadful in The Ugly Truth).

Gamer opens in the U.S. and the U.K. on September 4.

Pollas
Pollas
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 12:21pm

I’ll see it just for Michael C. Hall. And as long as he stays away from an Irish accent, I’ve come to like Gerard Butler.

As long as they’re understandable, they should let actors from other countries speak with their real accents (except when playing historical characters). There are many expatriates in the U.S.

And to quote (misquote?) Shakespeare, there is nothing new under the sun.

weetiger
weetiger
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 12:31pm

So cynical! I have to agree with Pollas’ (and Shakespeare’s) assessment; there is nothing new under the sun. It’s all about the execution and I for one am going to wait until I see it.

Granted, I’d watch Gerard Butler read the phone book (preferably in his native accent) but I think the trailers and clips that have been released look like a lot of fun.

And it’s not your imagination, his American accent is improving (for what that’s worth.) It’s even better in the trailer for Law Abiding Citizen.

hdj
hdj
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 12:56pm

This is a bit like ” the running man ” no?

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 1:20pm

Hell, this is like some of the gladiators in Rome. Of course, they didn’t have films back then.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 1:55pm

Dexter vs. The Closer?

It’s like a match made in heaven, unfortunately it’s set within the context of drek.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Wed, Aug 19, 2009 1:57pm

Having said that, I’d love to see a Lt. Mike Tao vs. Vince Masuka smackdown.

Alli
Alli
Thu, Aug 20, 2009 9:20am

LoL. I totally agree JoshDM. My money would be on Tao, because Vince is all talk, no action.

Saladinho
Saladinho
Thu, Aug 20, 2009 1:25pm

@Pollas. That wasn’t Shakespeare. It’s Ecclesiastes. You’re probably thinking of “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun…”

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Thu, Aug 20, 2009 3:12pm

@Saladinho: Or Pollas might have been thinking of the Sonnet that begins “If there be nothing new, but that which is Hath been before…”. But, I dunno. Can’t mindread. Not for lack of trying, tho’.

I personally like the Bierce version: “There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don’t know.”

Saladinho
Saladinho
Thu, Aug 20, 2009 5:01pm

: that Bierce quote, in a way, takes it back to Shakespeare: “There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy…”

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Fri, Aug 21, 2009 11:27am

Game. Set. Match. I tip my hat, Salahinho!

:-)

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Fri, Aug 21, 2009 6:25pm

And to quote (misquote?) Shakespeare, there is nothing new under the sun.

Whoever said it, it’s true. But I didn’t say that it wasn’t. I said — or implied — that I expected two filmmakers who have been very original to continue to be very original. But I guess I should never expect that from Hollywood.