Saving Mr. Banks trailer: Tom Hanks as Walt Disney? oh my god yes

Also: Emma Thompson and Paul Giamatti in anything, obviously. Also also: that magical Disney Christmas sparkle, it sucks me right in. (Not that this is a Christmas movie, but it kinda is, by virtue of its release date.) I’m sorry. I’m already totally smitten.

Mon, Jul 15, 2013 12:20pm

Also also also: B.J. Novak, from the American Office, as one of the Sherman brothers! Also also also also: Josh Lyman!

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Mon, Jul 15, 2013 2:16pm

Gross. Disney.

Feh. It could have everyone I’ve ever drooled over in it and I wouldn’t touch it.

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Mon, Jul 15, 2013 6:31pm

As someone who grew up with “the Mary Poppins movie” and loves and adores every single moment of it, I am simply delighted by the very idea of this film. One of the biggest thrills of my life was when I met Julie Andrews at a book signing several years ago. I walked up to the desk she sat behind, schlepping my bags of free books (it was BookExpo America, a booksellers convention), and she said, “My! You look really loaded down there!” in her very proper British accent, and all I could do was agree and then burble about how much I love her work while she signed my book. She was exceedingly polite (practically perfect in every way, you might say!), and all I could think was, “I am standing three feet away from Mary Frickin’ Poppins!!!!!”
I had never heard of this movie until now–thanks, MaryAnn.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Jul 15, 2013 7:12pm

Boy, MAJ, you really are of two vastly disparate minds about Disney, aren’t you?

My biggest concern is that it’ll be enjoyable and well made, but trite and unchallenging, much like 42 was.

reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 1:51pm

As a film both from and about Disney, I’ll be amazed if it’s anything else. I stand ready to be amazed.

Prankster36
Prankster36
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 8:24pm

I’m pretty concerned about this, because in real life P. L. Travers retained a lifelong dislike for the movie, based partly on how she was treated by Disney (both the corporation and the man). I don’t see how they can tell this story with a happy ending…and the rumours that Disney bought this script precisely so they could control their image aren’t helping.

Even putting that aside, this kind of looks like a story about how those wacky, uptight artists with their “integrity” are always causing problems for hardworking Hollywood scholockmeisters!

reply to  Prankster36
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 8:52pm

My gut always starts on the side of the original creator rather than the film guy. I can see the appeal of this treatment, but…

Rob
Rob
Tue, Jul 16, 2013 12:10am

“Well, then, unmake it up.” *Sherman Brothers sheepishly hide other sheet music.*

This looks brilliant.