• Hey, apparently I am a heroine of cinema — under “T for Twitter” — and am “appealingly autonomous.” “Heroines of Cinema: An A to Z of Women in Film in 2013” [Indiewire]
• “Who’s the robot that won’t cop out when there’s danger all about?” “Oh yeah” [Katy Wheatley on Facebook]
• I thought it was pretty much established that the Comedian killed JFK, but I’m always open to new theories. This X-Men one sounds plausible. [The Bent Bullet ]
• Sounds great. But my eyes glaze over reading this description. Really, we just need more women in movies and making movies. “The Representation Project”
The Representation Project is a movement that uses film and media content to expose injustices created by gender stereotypes and to shift people’s consciousness towards change. Interactive campaigns, strategic partnerships and education initiatives inspire individuals and communities to challenge the status quo and ultimately transform culture so everyone, regardless of gender, race, class, age, or circumstance can fulfill their potential.
(h/t Neima Izadi on Facebook)
• Even John Sayles — John Sayles! — cannot get funding or distribution of his films. Something is seriously fucked up with how we’re making art. “Professional” [Truly Free Film]
• In case you were unaware of how awesome Melissa Leo is: “‘I would like to see more feature films made by women. Who can donate $6,000 for six features?’ That’s when Oscar winner Leo stepped up to the plate. ‘I’ll do it!,’ she yelled out, raising from her seat.” “Melissa Leo Steps Up to Fund Women Screenwriters” [Women and Hollywood]