Guardians of the Galaxy trailer: this is what everyone is so excited about?

Everyone’s been talking about this trailer all week. There was even a 15-second teaser to get us worked up for the main event. Which is still just an ad for a movie. Not the movie itself.

And now that we can actually see the damn thing… I’m not seeing it. What’s supposedly so cool about this story? That one of the characters is a raccoon? And another one is a houseplant? That they’re all assholes? It all looks pretty generic-space-opera to me.

This is directed by James Gunn, who made Slither and Super (“Shut up, crime!”), so maybe it will be smart and funny. But I don’t see much evidence of that here.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 3:10pm

Part of me thinks that this is Marvel deliberately thumbing its nose at DC. It’s effectively saying, “Look, we can pull anything – seriously, anything – off our shelf and make a hit movie. How’s that Batman/Superman thing coming along?”

reply to  MisterAntrobus
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 9:46pm

If Marvel really is confident about making anything into a hit film, then I hope they start working on a Captain Marvel movie soon. Katee Sackhoff is ready and waiting.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 10:22pm

Black Panther is another one that gets tossed back to the DC-haters. Also, Marvel doesn’t even have control of all of it’s A-list characters.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 11:37pm

True. Which is probably another reason why they’re mining oddball titles like this. Wouldn’t mind a Black Panther movie either. Chiwetel Ejiofor would be awesome.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 11:34pm

I am all for anything that involves Katee Sackhoff. I think you mean Ms. Marvel, though. Captain Marvel, through an odd twist of history, actually belongs to DC now.

reply to  MisterAntrobus
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 2:51am

My understanding is that DC’s Captain Marvel now appears under the title Shazam!, to avoid copyright infringement on Marvel’s current Captain Marvel comics.

Carol Danvers, formerly Ms. Marvel, is now Captain Marvel in an excellent series by Kelly Sue DeConnick, which I’m following. The new Ms. Marvel is apparently a Muslim teenager from New Jersey. Come to think of it, that sounds like it’d make an interesting film as well.

Adam R. Charpentier
Adam R. Charpentier
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 4:06pm

How are they assholes? Because the plant is too tall? Because Starlord didn’t want the guard fussing with his music? Because the raccoon spit?

Are you not having a good day?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Adam R. Charpentier
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 6:20pm

I’m quoting the guard character in the trailer, who’s supposed to be an authority figure that we’re supposed to see our heroes tweaking the authority of.

Adam R. Charpentier
Adam R. Charpentier
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 6:23pm

Duh. Stupid me. Apologies!

althea
althea
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 4:33pm

I dunno, it made me smile. I don’t care if it’s not top-shelf superheroes, I dig teams.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  althea
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 6:21pm

I don’t care if they’re not top-shelf superheroes. I just don’t see what’s allegedly interesting enough about them that I should want to sit through a two-hour movie with them.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 6:40pm

Looks like the people who made the trailer didn’t like it. Too soon to tell about the movie itself.

reply to  Karl Morton IV
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 2:57am

The people who made the trailer didn’t like the trailer they made? Interesting. Is there an interview online somewhere?

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 10:00am

Nothing like that – just that it felt kind of perfunctory to me. I’ve cut a few trailers in my day and if the studio doesn’t know how to sell a movie it tends to grind most of anything interesting or cool out of it. I could be wrong, of course – friends of mine who know all about the Guardians are over the moon for this trailer, so what do I know?

MarkyD
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 7:12pm

I’m with you, MaryAnn. The trailer did nothing for me. The movie just looks…odd…to me.
Granted, I never even heard of these characters until recently, so I have nothing invested in them like some diehard comic book fans might.
Still, as of now, my interest is pretty much nil.

crowTrobot
crowTrobot
Wed, Feb 19, 2014 8:41pm

The comics are good natured comedy. Kind of like Buckaroo Bonzai, which is why a lot people are scratching their heads over the tons of money thrown at it. Is there really an audience for this?

Wed, Feb 19, 2014 9:41pm

It’s a space opera that doesn’t seem to be taking itself too seriously. Looks like fun to me.

io9 has a breakdown of the trailer with some background information from the comics (which I haven’t read). I know, I know, the movie should stand on its own, but I just think the source material looks like it has some pretty crazy world-building, with a “why not?” spirit (Rocket Raccoon helps protect some kind of cosmic Gideon’s Bible? awesome Beatles reference!). If the movie manages to capture that spirit it should be a hell of a lot of fun.

I really like Chris Pratt in his role in Parks and Recreation. Hopefully he’ll be as enjoyable to watch in this film as RDJ was in Iron Man. (And it looks like if you’re an actor named “Chris” your chances of being in a Marvel film go up considerably…)

Thu, Feb 20, 2014 12:23pm

Yay, petty self-important manchildren are still a thing in the spacey future. I’m so relieved.

Hey, you Marvel and DC fans who keep telling me that there’s more to your favourite comics than trying to appeal to generic twelve-year-old boys who want lots of action and (safely delineated) sexuality? This.

reply to  RogerBW
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 12:40pm

You know, I’m tempted to quote that space cop right here.

The Marvel and DC series that I enjoy DO have more to them than action and sex pitched to 12-year-old boys. But I’m not gonna bother telling you about them if you insist on painting all the comics (and all the fans) with the same brush.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 1:03pm

The best Marvel and DC comics have social commentary, compelling characters, difficult moral questions, and witty dialogue. I wish some of those things had been in this trailer.

reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 1:49pm

Yeah, that’s exactly what the fans always say. “Not all the comics are like this! There’s good stuff too!”
Nobody ever seems to be willing to name a title, though. Go ahead; I won’t laugh at you for your tastes.

reply to  RogerBW
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 2:51pm

Yes. Not all comics are the same. There are good ones and bad ones. This is the basic argument against prejudice, in any aspect of society. What’s your problem with it?

Nobody ever seems to be willing to name a title, though.

Maybe not to you, because you’re being a dick about it and people may be asking themselves what’s the point. I could mention Morrison’s Superman or DeConnick’s Captain Marvel or Azzarello’s Wonder Woman, but if you won’t bother to try them and put some nuances into your assumptions, I won’t waste effort trying to convince you.

I won’t laugh at you for your tastes.

Yeah? You’ve preemptively laughed at any defense of superhero comics, which is why it seems pointless to engage you on this topic.

Thera Pitts
Thera Pitts
reply to  RogerBW
Sat, Feb 22, 2014 4:49pm

Saga, preacher, y the last man, the sandman, the unwritten, unknown soldier, joe the barbarian, watchmen, v for vendetta, fables, the walking dead, the league of extraordinary gentlemen, persepolis, maus, the five fists of science, hellboy, john constantine hellblazer, sin city, just to name a few. Why are books with drawings so offensive to you? Do you live in an 80’s teen movie or something?

reply to  Thera Pitts
Sat, Feb 22, 2014 6:01pm

No, but I do expect people to be able to understand the question. Foolish of me, I know.
Hint for the hard of reading: I didn’t say “all comics”.