in 2010 I asked you: ‘What would you like to see in a Toy Story 4?’ (let’s revisit the replies)

Question of the Day is no longer a thing here, but when it was, I asked — just after Toy Story 3 was released — what everyone would like to see in a fourth film. Now that Toy Story 4 has arrived, and appears to be somewhat underperforming, what do you think about what we thought might be a good way to expand the story, versus what we actually just got?

PREVIOUS: 06.21.10

I really hope there won’t be a Toy Story 4, but after Toy Story 3’s record-breaking debut this weekend, it seems inevitable. (It earned an estimated $109 million, Pixar’s biggest bow ever, though much of that is down to the premium ticket prices for 3D; attendance wise, about as many people turned out for this one as did for other recent Pixar flicks such as The Incredibles.)

At this point, with Toy 3 wrapped up, Woody and Buzz and the gang have come full circle, so revisiting them would be mere retread. And the themes the three films covered would preclude Pixar from simply taking a look at another group of toys in another kid’s room if they didn’t want to repeat themselves.

So what’s left? Where could a possible (*sigh* a likely) Toy Story 4 go that would feel fresh and still have something new to say? Here are a few ideas — some of which pick up on threads the three films have already touched on — that I wouldn’t mind seeing:

• an R-rated Toy Story: Revisit Sid (or a similarly twisted child) to explore what motivates him, and how his toys cope with his evil play; think American Psycho Babies

• a real videogame movie, at last: Since game systems are the new toys capturing kids’ imaginations, how about a story in which characters from across, say, one child’s favorite Wii games head out on the Internet to protect their beloved player-kid from cyberbullies on Facebook?

Mad Max mode: Presumably toys that get thrown away don’t “die,” they just linger on at the dump forever and ever (especially the plastic ones, which will never decay). What does that toy society look like? What is life like for toys who have no prospect of being played with ever again? Think Life Is Beautiful, by Mattel.

• toys gone bad: Woody and Buzz and the gang are all so gosh-darn nice, but at least one new character in Toy 3 proves that not all toys are people you’d wanna be around. What happens when a sweet kid like Bonnie is given a toy that turns out to be a very bad seed? It could be Pixar’s Chucky

• toys for grownups: Al from Toy Story 2 may have left his collectible toys sitting in their boxes, but lots of adults own toys that we actually use (and I’m not even talking about the very naughty kinds). From board games and baseball gloves we use on the weekends to windup Daleks and action figures we fiddle with all day at work, we continue to play, if in a different way. A day in the life of all the little toyish doodads sitting next to a geek’s computer could be a revealing look at grownup hopes, dreams, fantasies, and imagination.

(I’m available to whip up a first draft on any of these for Pixar. Call me.)

What would you like to see in a Toy Story 4?

kathleen
kathleen
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 12:29pm

Haha . I like your ideas. I think it is a bit early to ask this since a lot of people haven’t seen the movie yet. I will revisit this after I see it and let you know what I think.

reply to  kathleen
Sun, Aug 16, 2020 4:06pm

I will revisit this after I see it and let you know what I think.

Narrator: She never did.

Zoogz
Zoogz
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 12:38pm

This really has some Larry David possibilities, doesn’t it? Hopes, dreams, fantasies, and imagination all inform our specific neuroses, don’t they? And especially since they toys that grownups typically have are ones that are informed by their personalities, the internal workings of the mind becoming our external decorations….

PaulW
PaulW
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 4:02pm

NOooooo stop raping my childh… wait, I started watching Toy Story when I was 25. Sigh.

Oh gods. It’s not like Pixar’s next 5 movies aren’t going to make over $55 million on their opening nights. They don’t need to do this for the money: everything else they do will make truckloads anyway. The story ended perfect exactly where it did – the toys saved, another child’s life improved – and there’s nothing more to be said about The Power of Friendship and Love Is Never Having to Put Your Toys In the Attic.

If there *had* to be another Toy Story… why couldn’t it focus on an Optimus Prime action figure complaining about how crappy the Michael Bay movies are?

Paul
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:25pm

It seems like Pixar’s takes a decent amount of time between movies to do them justice instead of a quick buck rush job, so if they come out with a TS4 I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see it.

Andrew
Andrew
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:28pm

Why likely? Disney’s in no position to boss Pixar around and Pixar is not the sort to do things just because there’s money in it. They’ll make a Toy Story 4 if they can think up another story to tell, not for crass commercial purposes.

Besides, at this point they’ve proven that they can make whatever the fuck they want and it’ll make a bajillion dollars and win an Oscar. Who needs sequels?

Orangutan
Orangutan
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 6:50pm

I would watch the hell out of either the Mad Max or the Toys for Grownups stories. Those are seriously awesome ideas. And Pixar’s demonstrated they’re not afraid of being dark at times, I could see them going with either one.

Surely someone here knows someone who knows someone? Make these happen!!

Nate
Nate
Mon, Jun 21, 2010 7:29pm

I don’t know about a Toy Story 4, but I do know they plan on attaching a short film to Cars 2

nyjm
nyjm
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:09pm

Call me naïve, but I still have faith in John Lasseter and the other folks at Pixar: I don’t think a Toy Story 4 is very likely. They finished telling that story and have plenty of other, different stories to tell. It’s been one of the most heartening things about Pixar that, for all of their popular and critical success, they have not succumbed to corporatism. The love of movie-making and storytelling remains very much at the heart of everything they do – not the almighty dollar.

amanohyo
amanohyo
reply to  nyjm
Sun, Aug 16, 2020 4:06pm

Dammit Jim, you were too pure for this world. No disrespect intended, but even you have to admit this comment aged about as well as The Cosby Show.

leontineg
leontineg
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 10:18pm

A short at the beginning that isn’t a piece of sexist crap? I mean, brilliant, innovative, groundbreaking sexist crap, but still hella disturbing.

Nate
Nate
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 11:05pm

You’re talking about Day and Night, right?

If they were female and were ogling men I would still think it was funny. Some people read way too much into things.