question of the day: What 2013 movie are you most looking forward to?

Star Trek Into Darkness

Yesterday we looked back at 2012 at the movies. Today, let’s get our geek on for the coming year:
What 2013 movie are you most looking forward to?

Here’s a list of some possibilities to get you going (roughly in order of North American release):

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Warm Bodies (zombie rom-com)
Side Effects (new Soderbergh)
A Good Day to Die Hard
Snitch (actioner starring The Rock)
Jack the Giant Slayer (from Bryan Singer)
Oz: The Great and Powerful
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
The Host (sci-fi based on Stephenie Meyer novel)
Evil Dead
World War Z
Kick-Ass 2
Despicable Me 2
Lone Ranger
Pacific Rim
The Wolverine
Elysium (from ‘District 9’s Neill Blomkamp)
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Riddick
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
The Tomb (starring Schwarzenegger and Stallone)
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Oldboy
Carrie
The World’s End (new from Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost)
Ender’s Game
Thor: The Dark World
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Anchorman: The Legend Continues
Frozen (new Disney animated musical)
47 Ronin
Jack Ryan

Have fun!

(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)

Mate Sršen
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 1:14pm

Out of that list, I’m pretty evenly hyped for Pacific Rim and Iron Man 3. Both featuring amazing creative teams working on geek-friendly material – plenty of other such releases on the list, but these two I have the most faith in. On a side note, imagine showing a mid-1990s geek this release list (with appropriate explanation) and watching their head explode :-) We do live in blessed times…

But really, the dark horse is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Because if they can capture what made the first one special, it will rule above all.

Thu, Jan 10, 2013 1:37pm

I’m being cautious – if I don’t expect much, I’m more likely to get a pleasant surprise. There are some films I’m interested in:

World War Z (the trailer made it look pretty bad, but I enjoyed the book)
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (could be cheesy fun)
The World’s End (I’ve been waiting for these guys to get back together)

and some I will be sure to avoid (Hangover 3, GI Joe, The Host, the Oldboy remake because I’ve seen the original). But most of them get a big meh for now.

Jack Ryan was partly filmed at my place of work, so I’ll be interested to see if I can spot the relevant shots.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 2:59pm

I’m looking forward to the Blu-Ray release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey so I can skip over all the ponderous filler material and see if there’s a good movie in there. I’m sure there must be.

Jonathan Roth
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 3:34pm

John Dies at the End and the next Hobbit movie are the two I’m super pumped for.

Monsters University, Iron Man 3, and Star Trek into Darkness all sound like they’ll be good.

I’d only heard about Ender’s game and The World’s End from this list, and now I’m looking forward to them both. :)

I’ve pretty much given up hope for World War Z.

JT
JT
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 3:55pm

Star Trek and Gatsby for sure.  I can’t bear to get my hopes up for Ender’s Game yet.

Damian Barajas
Damian Barajas
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 5:15pm

The worlds End! That’s ONE movie I definitely plan to see this year!
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2? Wow! whats a good word for excited expectation with a streak of dread?
I think I’ve become physically incapable of being excited by any sequel at this point. :(

Adam Stevenson
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 6:12pm

They are remaking a lot of films that should never be remade this year, aren’t they?

Joker98
Joker98
reply to  Adam Stevenson
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 8:31pm

Like what? O.O

KEAplin
KEAplin
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 6:19pm

Wow… that’s a tough one. I’m looking forward to more movies in 2013, than I have looked forward to in a LONG time, but if I’m limited to one… it’s gotta be Star Trek Into Darkness – all the goodies from Star Trek plus Benedict Cumberbatch as the bad guy? Wow.

reply to  KEAplin
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 6:28pm

The really remarkable thing is that only slightly over half of those, by my reckoning, are sequels or remakes.

Joker98
Joker98
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 8:31pm

Man Of Steel,Oz:The Great  and Powerful,Oblivion.

MarkyD
Thu, Jan 10, 2013 10:12pm

I wasn’t even aware of a lot of these.
At this point, not much has me excited. Not even the big Comic book sequels. I’ve trained myself over the years to not set myself up for disappointment. The real excitement comes when a movie I am somewhat interested in gets numerous positive reviews. I truly base my movie going on reviews from people I trust. It’s a rare day when I see a movie that was poorly reviewed. At home I am more lenient.
I suppose the ones I anticipate seeing the most are:
Thor 2
Hobbit 2
Plus the many small or unknown movies that will probably be better than most on this list

Thu, Jan 10, 2013 11:28pm

I posted a comment before, but it seems to have disappeared. Hmm.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to quite a few of these. I’m most curious to see Epic, about which I know nothing except the very intriguing trailer I saw in the theater. And I’m curious about Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters too, because I like Logan Lerman and I wonder how the filmmakers will repair the storyline (if they even attempt it) that they so thoroughly messed up in the first film.

I hope Ender’s Game is good. And I’m eager to see what Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor brings to Thor: The Dark World.

althea
althea
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 1:42am

If I hadn’t seen the trailers before The Hobbit last Saturday I wouldn’t have had an opinion, but by George M. Cohan, I’m just feverish in anticipation of Oz the Great and Powerful. Holy Moses, does that look fabulous! Definitely a don’t-wait-for- the-DVD. Unless MaryAnn says otherwise, I guess.

There were some others, I forget, but it was surprising – on account of I’m not fond of Tom Cruise – that Jack Ryan looked good, and Pacific Rim, mind-blowing.

Chris
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 3:06am

As they’re two fandoms I love, and both had a stellar first movie, am most excited about “Star Trek: Into Darkness” and “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire”. Can. Not. Wait. =D

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 3:23am

The next Hobbit film and Oz, as well as Thor 2 and <Iron Man 3.

Lenina Crowne
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 5:14am

Pacific Rim, The Hobbit.
Also, I know this makes me a bad homo, but Ender’s Game as well.

I usually love Star Trek but I am dreading the movie. Why? Three words.
Benedict Cumberbatch. Tumblr.

Aix
Aix
reply to  Lenina Crowne
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 1:59pm

You can just block his name or his character’s name via Tumblr savior. That’s what I do for characters and actors I am not really fond of.

ross lad
ross lad
Fri, Jan 11, 2013 7:36pm

Man of Steel, OZ, Star Trek

Ide Cyan
Ide Cyan
Sat, Jan 12, 2013 2:58am

Stoker, directed by Park Chan-Wook & written by Wentworth Miller, starring Mia Wasikowska, Matthew Goode and Nicole Kidman. It looks utterly gorgeous and stylishly creepy.

I’m also looking forward to a bunch of sequels , and I might end up seeing Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters despite its looking terrible.

FAR Movies
Tue, Jan 15, 2013 1:39pm

Ola-la..maybe Oz: The Great and Powerful or Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Imran
Imran
Mon, Feb 04, 2013 8:35pm

Man of steel, world war z, after earth (will smith ftw).

Tonio Kruger
Sat, Feb 09, 2013 2:11am

Machete Kills.

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Sat, Feb 09, 2013 2:19am

Oops! I mean Machete Kills, of course.